My main research interests relate directly to post-1800 European history and its connections to the wider world. They can be summarised into 5 interrelated clusters:
1) Political Ideologies (anti-Semitism, racism, fascism, Nazism and communism, XIX and XX centuries)
2) Empires and Nation-States (federalism and nationalism; cultural politics; ethnic minorities)
3) Biomedicine (reproduction; comparative history of race and social Darwinism; comparative history of eugenics and racial anthropology, including systems of care, public health and family planning as well as racial research on social and ethnic minorities)
4) History of Ideas/Intellectual History in Eastern Europe (theories of ethnic specificity and national character; ethnic utopias; narratives of belonging)
At the moment I work on the history of race and racism.
5) Historiography, Methodology and Theories of History (the Holocaust in Eastern Europe; memory and trauma)